Eminem came face-to-face with a home intruder earlier this month. According to newly-published reports, the 47-year-old rapper detained the perpetrator to allow time for his security to step in.
The Detroit Free Press reports that the incident occurred on April 5, although news of the home invasion just went public. Eminem was awakened by the alarm system in his Detroit area home at 4 a.m. on the day of the intrusion, when he then became aware of a bearded man in his living room. One of the rapper’s associates told the Detroit Free Press that the intruder “was verbally and physically detained by Marshall, while security was alerted.”
The suspect is Michigan native Matthew David Hughes. He is currently being held on a $50,000 bond since being charged in Macomb County District Court with first-degree home invasion and malicious destruction of a building.
“Eminem was at his home in compliance with the governor’s stay-home, stay-safe order,” said Clinton Township Police Captain Richard Maierle. “Security was alerted, came in, took him into custody, and nobody got hurt.”
Reports suggest Hughes gained entry into the home after he slipped by the security station at the entrance to the property and hurled a rock through a glass door at the back of the house. He is scheduled to appear in court June 29 and could face up to 20 years in prison for home invasion and up to five years for malicious destruction.
Visit USA Today for more on the story.